What is Hydroxyapatite and why should I be using it?

by Philippa Nicholls

Hydroxyapatite is a form of calcium that makes up 97% of the enamel and 70% of the dentine in your teeth. It remineralises your teeth and is non-toxic. Hydroxyapatite is the mineral that gives your teeth their hard and strong qualities.

Because Hydroxyapatite is naturally found in the body, it is biocompatible with your teeth! Not only is it biocompatible, but it’s totally non-toxic – which means there’s no poison control warning needed – and just dissolves in your stomach if you are to swallow any. Actually, it’s not only compatible with your body – it’s “biomimetic,” which means it is a familiar structure to your body, and your body recognises it as belonging there.

Hydroxyapatite and Tooth Decay

Tooth decay begins and destroys your teeth when the demineralisation of your tooth outweighs the remineralisation. Demineralisation is impacted by diet, oral hygiene, mouth breathing, and oral microbiome. By using Dimples Toothpaste, which contains the biocompatible mineral Hydroxyapatite, you are remineralising your teeth using the minerals that are found in your teeth naturally. Therefore, reversing the damaging effects of demineralisation and keeping your teeth healthy and strong.

Hydroxyapatite is a great option for children as it prevents tooth decay, whilst preventing the risk of fluorosis.

Hydroxyapatite and Gum Disease

Hydroxyapatite has been shown to improve gum health in patients with gum disease. Improvements seen included plaque control, bleeding gums, and pocket depth.

This is because Hydroxyapatite prevents the bacteria from attaching to the enamel of teeth, therefore preventing plaque development. When plaque develops, it leads to gum inflammation and ultimately gum disease.

← back to blog